- This event has passed.
Master’s In Special Education Needs Coordinator SENCO
October 18 @ 8:00 am - October 21 @ 5:00 pm
MA Level: Module 1 Dyslexia 18th-21st October 2017
Contact: Mr. Harshi Sehmar
What does this module offer?
This module will help extend your knowledge of dyslexia and how to develop effective teaching and support strategies for learners with literacy difficulties at all phases of education.
- examine models of dyslexia in terms of behaviour, cognitive abilities & processing.
- consideration of the role of standardised assessment in identification
- explore how dyslexia may affect speakers of other languages both in their own language and in learning (English as an additional language)
- investigate theoretical models of reading, how reading & writing develops and where it can go wrong.
- explore multisensory and how teachers can apply more effective strategies in the classroom to support learners’ metacognition and study
How do I study?
The module is taught in a 4 day block teaching followed by online support from a dedicated tutor. 18th-21st October 2017.
How will my work be assessed?
1) Students are asked to prepare a 15 minute presentation, critically examining a programme designed to underpin the teaching of reading and/or spelling to students with dyslexia, with reference to current underpinning theory of reading and writing development.
2) Apply their understanding of dyslexia by interpreting a specialist report, making recommendations about the teaching and support needed to include the learner in their school or working context.